Winter lights coziness

Tuesday, December 28, 2010

We had a marvelous Christmas and extra marvelous long weekend last week! Did you take some time off work too? Oh I hope you did! Waking up to a wonderfully peaceful shadowy house was extra special. I always love this time of year when I get to stay home during the holidays. Even when I don’t have to wake up early, I still do! I’m a morning child and would never ever miss the wee hours of the morning to slept, ever! Are you this crazy about early mornings too? I feel as if I'm not awake to welcome the morning I would miss something wonderful that would hardly come my way again... you know, sort of like what Ralph Waldo Emerson once said: “The days come and go like muffled and veiled figures sent from a distant friendly party; but they say nothing, and if we do not use the gifts they bring, they carry them as silently away”.

So here I am worshiping those wee small hours of morning, before the dawn of day! And this is the marvelous part of it all! Not having to leave the coziness of home! I just love it when I get to stay home!

It's been super cold and gloomy here. Curls of ghosts like fog unfurl and travel the garden floor breathing in the austerity of winter... dark clouds during the day dress themselves in gray, and if it isn’t snow it’s rain. From blustery and cold mornings to afternoon rain pelting the windows to cold nights accompanied by high winds... That's how it's been. But I love the extra coziness winter imparts the house!

I can hear the wind from my bed early in the morning, moaning lonesomely outside, and I can hear the soothing song of rain tapping our window... snow, wind, drizzling rain, sun for a moment, more wind and an occasionally glorious sky, then more rain... but inside the house is always warm and cozy and I never want to leave this refuge of mine I call home. Do you feel this way about your home too?

Truth is, I don't like winter, but I can certainly keep the sweet calmness that winter conveys, the feeling of peaceful seclusion and shelter... glowing candles, a mug of hot cocoa and a blazing fire... in the wee hours of the morning (when I don’t have to go to work) the quieted house is a perfect cozy nest... I wove around the place, turning on little lamps in several corners, lighting candles, lifting up shadows...

I love the feel of clean wood floors under my feet and the soft light of lamps as I go around my house cleaning, arranging and rearranging things; always enjoying, always appreciating my little life and its surroundings...

Do you love lamps, or do you prefer overhead lights? Oh I do love my lamp-laden house in the roses! Something about the ambiance, the warmth and sense of belonging just captivate me!

Lamp light, candle light, soft light is much more romantic, provides a cozy, welcoming ambiance. Ah yes, a beautiful home is more than meets the eye; ultimately, it’s a matter of the heart... but you already knew that! Right?

It's 8:49am as I write, and is still dark outside... cold, and raining the rain of the tropics. I cannot believe how much rain we'd had this winter. Is it dark and raining or snowing in your part of the world? Let's turn on our lamps; light up some candles!