New Year's Resolutions

Friday, January 1, 2010
Snow and freezing rain keep coming down. It is cold outside, but inside the house… coziness and warmth make a lovely contrast to the barren landscape beyond my frosted window panes.

A new year has begun; a new beginning, new resolutions linger in the January frigid air. What does the New Year represents to you? What does to you?

In my little world, the New Year represents winter in full swing. The outside weather sends me inside; it urges me to create
new life inside, which means cozying up my home. I love adding light at this time of the year, setting up a pretty lamp or some battery operated candles by the window to allow the light to be a beacon in the dark of the shelter of home for myself and others…

And of course, beside the January weather, the New Year always brings in me the desire to change, and to begin anew; being in me or just around my house.

As I have mentioned here and here and probably in many other posts before this, I love to decorate my reading room. I’ve been changing things around, shifting furniture, adding few details here and there, while at the same time reevaluating my consumption patterns. The New Year is a great time to get rid of the clutter and stuff that seems to just accumulate, all on its own, not only over the holidays, but through the year… decluttering, by the way, is one of the best remedies against physical and mental stress, and one of the best New Year resolution one can make.

I’m into the softness of yellow and baby blue these days, so I’ve added some blue accents in my reading rooms... things I already had, plus a new inexpensive Laura Ashley's bedding in an exquisite pattern of soft yellow and tiny blue flowers...

The twin fitted sheet is now the new cover on my settee, and the flat sheet was made into a table topper.

The New Year is a great time to redecorate our nest, but simplifying is always one of the best resolution one can make. Get rid of the clutter and stuff that you don't use or find it necessary, and gift everything!