Indian summer – a Farewell

Tuesday, October 5, 2010
Summer wanes…

Summer dwindles away...

Summer sings a final hymn and paints the sky with brilliant flair...

Summer is a hopping rabbit getting ready for winter

And a wee baby turtle dreaming on the last magical leaf

Indian summer of the shadowy fields, lyric nights and enchanted gardens full of singing…

I am ready. My heart embraces the hope of autumn. I walk on the garden and wait for the falling leaf.

October's enchantment swirls around me… like a grasshopper’s horn I hear it; high in the maples its voices ring. I am a dancing leaf, a locust slowly grinding the silence, under a moon waning and broken, and tired with summer.

Over my soul October murmurs its mute benediction, while I gaze at a garden so ready to sleep.

Welcome October!

This is what my garden looks like these last few days of summer. The last roses of the seasons are still in bloom. It is an amazing world. The garden is particularly enchanting. It is an absolutely glorious Indian summer and the leaves are still in their green splendor around here. It takes my breath away. It is like a continual song...

Sitting here on my back porch as I always do, I think how good it is to find myself in such a beautiful space, early in the morning, before breakfast, the sky turns magically enchanting; perfectly clear and brilliant orange and, above that, bright blue with a little half-moon (pics above at dusk). It is a transporting sight, absolutely beautiful. It is exciting. It is a wonderful way to start the day with that orange sky and that luminous garden around me as if I were wrapped in the sight of nature....