Rainbow

Tuesday, June 7, 2011
Sometimes, life scares me. Does it happen to you too? Bad scary thoughts usually fill my mind on those occasions. Then, I run to the garden and hide from the world...



I go to a very special place in the garden, a lovely seclude path where I know nobody can see me, and I kneel down before my Creator.




I tell him how I feel, and then I listen.


Last Saturday after my conversation with God in the garden, I lay down on the grass for a long long time and searched the lovely blue skies for signs... signs of God’s love. I didn’t do this because I doubted God’s love, but because I knew that God’s heart yearns to communicate with his children—give them special gifts. And thus I searched everywhere for God’s special gift. And He gave me one! Something wonderful—a rainbow or what it looked to me like a rainbow in the sky.


Rainbows have always fascinated humans every since the early days. For some cultures, the rainbow is the road between the worlds of gods and men, the Greeks used to believe that it was a sign from the gods to foretell war or heavy rain, Indians believed that it was a bridge between life and dead and the Irish believed that a pot of gold lies at the end of a rainbow. Most of us believe that a rainbow is an arc of light separated into bands of color that appear when the sun's rays are refracted and reflected by drops of mist or rain. But it wasn’t raining, or had been raining that afternoon. In fact, it was the first truly warm day of the year... and it was sunny, and lovely, and the grass where I lay down was like a blanket of soft green wool...



The Holy Bible says the rainbow is the sign of covenant between God and all life on Earth, and that is what I chose to believe. I’m sure that God brought his rainbow out that afternoon just to remind me that His promises are real, they never fail, and I should always remember that.


And so, I don’t have to be afraid of life, not even afraid of death because God has promised to always always be by my side... “Though I walk through the valley of the shadow of death, I will fear no evil: for Thou art with me (Psalm 23:1-4). Now, do you see a rainbow on those photographs, or perhaps you see something else? Most probably it was a rainbow, but to me it was clearly a bright spot of shining colorful lights in the sky. It wasn't the sun. This I know, because the sun was shining on the other side of the sky. Mystery. A door to God’s dwellings--I like to think.


Ah yes, someone very special visited me in my garden this past Saturday afternoon. But can I tell you a little secret? You don’t have to feel anything special or extraordinary to know that God walks by you. You just have to know that his promises are real.