Do you Know What you are Eating?

Thursday, October 6, 2011


better health



DAY 5: READ THE LABELS

This is nothing new!  You probably already knew you should do this, BUT, do you?   Do you really KNOW what you are eating?  

Do you look at your ingredients? 

So, how do you read the label and what are you supposed to look for?

Well, these ingredients are what should NOT be on your label…

Anything you cannot pronounce!  

Duh, I hope you know this.  If you cannot say it, don’t buy it…It’s that simple!  Most likely it’s a chemical and that’s very bad!!

Monosodium Glutamate  (MSG) 

This is dangerous and deadly, increases your appetite, makes you FAT and causes other health problems.  This stuff is also found in a lot of fast food…yuck!  For more info on this, read Excitotoxins: The Taste That Kills.

Aspartame 

This is also a excitotoxin that makes you FAT and hungry, depressed, have more PMS, migraines and more.  For more info on this, read Aspartame: Is it Safe?

Artificial Color 

These are chemical poisons…stay away!

Splenda 

Ok, a lot of you could be mad that I just wrote that but I hate splenda!  It is unnatural, artificial, man-made that increases your appetite, can make you depressed, FAT, give headaches, cause allergies, increases PMS and fibromyalgia.  For more info go to 

Enriched Bleached Wheat/White Flour 

Basically, these have been bleached and depleted of mostly all nutrition and usually have little to no fiber.  It is way too refined! Instead, look for organic wheats, ryes, millets, etc.

Soy Protein (unless it is non-GMO) 

There are a lot of benefits to a quality non genetically modified soy protein.  I actually drink a non GMO soy protein shake almost daily but that is because I found the purest organic soy on the market (which is extremely rear to find).  Most soybeans are genetically modified and chemically washed. 

Ok, so I just told you some things to stay away from.  I also recommend everyone buying organic but let’s work in baby steps here.  (Plus, that is an upcoming post.)

As most of you already know,  I love Trader Joe’s and do majority of my shopping there.  I love knowing that they carry good products with a great ingredient list!

I know that not all of you have one by you and I wanted to compare labels from TJ’s to name brand but I figured I would go with something a little more realistic for most people.

So…

The last time I was in Target,  I secretly bustled out my phone and started taking pictures of ingredient labels.  I was not sure if I was allowed to do that so I had to hurry up.  Plus, I had Matthew with me and he was not very quiet that day, lol.

I just wanted to show you some name brand ingredient labels compared to the more natural/organic labels…just so we can see if difference!

I didn’t have a list of what to take pictures of,  I just went down the aisle taking photos very quickly.

This first photo is from Anut Jemima Syrup.  Eww!!  Read the label!  Really?  And people actually eat this stuff and even worse, give it to their kids.

photo (11)

Now, here is a 100% Pure All Natural Maple Syrup.  That is the ONLY ingredient!  Plus, this tastes way better!

photo (12)

Here is the ingredient list of Sara Lee Bread.  That is a long list.  I couldn’t find my natural bread picture but I know the you can find bread that only lists a few ingredients or you can make your own. 

photo (13)

Next up, is VEGGIE Pasta Macaroni and Cheese.  I even made sure to get the healthier veggie filled one.

photo (30)

Here are the ingredients…

photo (31)

Then I found a more natural kind.

photo (14)

Compare the list.  What do you think?

photo (32)

Next is Skippy peanut butter.

photo (15)

Ok, this has hydrogenated vegetable oils, soybean oil and sugar.

photo (16)

Here is Smucker’s Natural peanut butter.

photo (29)

What do you know…only peanuts and a pinch of salt.

photo (28)

Let’s see what is in the jelly now.  This is Welch’s Grape Jelly.

photo (17)

This is Organic Smucker’s Grape Jelly.  Much better, right?

photo (27)

Ok, Heinz Ketchup is next.  Sorry it is blurry.

photo (19)

Here is the label from Heinz Organic Ketchup.  I just can’t believe that this is from the same company too!  So they make a bad ketchup and a good one?  This makes no sense to me.  Can’t they just make a good one.  We don’t need the high fructose corn syrup and corn syrup one , do we?

photo (26)

Alright,  here is the applesauce!  Applesauce is healthy right?

photo (20)

Then why do they need to add all the syrups?

photo (25)

Here is a Natural Unsweeted Applesauce.

photo (21)

Much better!

photo (24)

So, those were just a few example of comparing and reading the labels.  I tried to pick foods that everyone (including kids) eats!

I encourage you to read your food labels and switch to the more natural item and organic would be the best.

You can make a huge improvement to your family’s health by just being aware of what you are buying. 

I hope this helps you!

Have you ever looked at a label before?

What do you look for in a label?

Do you buy organic food?  What items?

Have a healthy day,

Bonnie :)