Found and lost

Friday, October 7, 2011
The rain makes still pools on the sidewalk


The rain makes running pools in the gutter



The rain plays a little sleep song on our roof at night


And I love the rain


(Langston Hughes)


Yes… I love rain, and I’m glad rain has arrived to soothe our summer-dried little parcel of land, but something else has come along with it… with rain winter has come; without any warning it came—scarves and big puffy socks, boots, frosty breezes twisting and turning whispering in my ears, red nose and watery eyes. And thus, it is official: Summer is over.

I’m collecting memories and a few last petals from the garden’s floor, and I am filling vases with the last droopy roses...

Speaking of roses and vases—I made a huge mistake this week. I’ve been dreaming with a true blue vintage mason jar for months and had searched for one in every thrift store you can image. Finally, I found the loveliest of blue jar this past Monday. I immediately filled it up with pink roses and took it with me to work the following morning. The wife of one of my bosses (I have 4) had surgery and I wanted to cheer her up with roses from my garden… I didn’t intended my new jar to be ‘part’ of the gift, though. I’m so used to sharing my roses with neighbors and co-workers, but I always get my pretty vases back. My boss’s wife was very appreciative, and she made sure her husband thank me for the lovely roses and ‘truly gorgeous jar’… ouch! Anyway, I lost my blue jar, and didn’t even get to enjoy it a bit. Let go… let go my heart let go... shhhh.


(image from Pinterest)

My dear friend Sandra is going through some real tough time… on a recent email she mentioned how sometimes she makes imaginary trips into my garden, just to be among the roses. Somehow these dreams make her feel better; and there we are chatting the afternoon away under the spell of a cup of tea; taking in all that is around; the sights, the smells, the music of the birds; sunshine in our faces… I wish with all my heart that her dreams would come true one day... we live miles away from each other, but maybe if I dream the same dream some how we’ll make it happen? I know that there are fairies spreading fairy dust in all sorts of venues, even in dreams. So I’m setting up a little spot in my garden for tea with my dear friend Sandra, even if it could only be in dreams....

Be gentle with yourself. You are a child of the universe, no less than the trees and the stars. In the noisy confusion of life, keep peace in your soul.