How to Organize a File Cabinet System

Wednesday, August 25, 2010

 file 

Since I am on a totally organizing frenzy,  I thought I would show you how I organize my files.

I have an easy 3 step process.

Step 1.

Kitchen Drawer

I put all mail, bills, paper and receipts in my bill drawer that I keep in my kitchen.  I love using a drawer so I don’t have to look and see any papers around the house.  The only paper that I want to see are my schedules are pictures that the kids drew me.  Everything else in ugly and stressful!

Step 2.

File in System #1

I go through everything in the drawer.  (This usually happens once a week so things don’t get out of control.)  I empty the drawer and place the papers into piles.  Then I pay all the bills online and take care of anything that needs to be done.  After that, I file everything into the correct file in my cabinet.  I do this right away so I know what I paid.

I have every file labeled accordingly to it’s subject.

 file 

The labels really keep things looking clean and organized!

files

This is my first filing system.  (Cute, huh?)

2010 08 25_8724

Step 3.

File in System #2

At the end on the year, I go through my files and get ready for tax season.  Everything else gets shredded or goes into my file cabinet in the basement (system #2) for 3 years or until I don’t need it anymore.  I also keep a file for every appliance, manual, etc.

7 TIPS FOR KEEPING AN ORGANIZED SYSTEM

1. Shred and recycle when possible.- Do you really need to keep everything?

2. Use a filing system that makes other office chores easier, not harder.- use something simple that works for you.

3. Think before you file.- file logically

5. Keep your “first” filing system close and convenient.- Mine is on my main level.

6. File as you go.- I try to file once a week.

7. Be specific with files- That makes it easier to find something later

How do you organize your files?

Are they organized?

Do you use a system?

Please check out the review and giveaway on Funky Junk Interiors Blog.

funky junk

I hope that you have a great day!

Bonnie :)

P.S. If you are having problems with my button, please be patient.  I upgraded to Pro Photobucket yesterday and they still did NOT fix this.  I already emailed them twice and still no luck.  Sorry about this!